One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Maori village or settlement.
community, colony, outpost, encampmentView synonyms
- ‘A kainga consists of relatives living in different households in the same village or in several villages.’
- ‘Even though Te Whiti died in 1907, his spirit of peace is still alive at the slowly reviving kainga - and way beyond.’
- ‘They are not just stuck in their little kainga, wearing their piupiu.’
- ‘‘It was quite clear that it was an extraordinary thing,’ he says of the Taranaki kainga led by pacifist prophets Te Whiti o Rongomai and Tohu Kakahi.’
- ‘The kainga encompass all blood relatives and can include people other than blood relations.’
- ‘He came down to the frightened passengers and told them to make use of any of the houses in his kainga and assured them they were among friends.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.