One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Maori village or settlement.
community, colony, outpost, encampmentView synonyms
- ‘‘It was quite clear that it was an extraordinary thing,’ he says of the Taranaki kainga led by pacifist prophets Te Whiti o Rongomai and Tohu Kakahi.’
- ‘He came down to the frightened passengers and told them to make use of any of the houses in his kainga and assured them they were among friends.’
- ‘They are not just stuck in their little kainga, wearing their piupiu.’
- ‘A kainga consists of relatives living in different households in the same village or in several villages.’
- ‘Even though Te Whiti died in 1907, his spirit of peace is still alive at the slowly reviving kainga - and way beyond.’
- ‘The kainga encompass all blood relatives and can include people other than blood relations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.