One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A deified ancestral spirit in the mythology of Pueblo Indians.
- ‘The manifestations of spirits, the katsinas, are of supreme importance to the Hopi.’
- ‘Next is a sumptuously textured, very abstract picture of three katsinas whose blurry appearance represents the intermediary between the spiritual and physical world.’
- ‘It's not like me telling people; it's the kachina spirits.’
- ‘Among the Hopi, the kachinas are said to live in the San Francisco peaks near Flagstaff.’
- ‘This style is also worn by the Longhair kachina, one of the important Hopi spirits who live in the Peaks and bring rain to Hopiland.’
- 1.1 A person who represents a kachina in ceremonial dances.
- ‘Warrior katsinas arrive to punish the clowns for licentious behavior and teach them good Hopi behavior: modest and quiet in conduct, careful and decorous in speech, abstemious and sharing about food, and unselfish about other things.’
- ‘As with the turquoise mortgage of the katsina clowns, the idea of reciprocity is central.’
- ‘Some ceremonials, such as the Zuni Shalakos, feature kachinas in ten-foot high costumes.’
- ‘The ripe corn is eaten; corn pollen and meal are used in kiva ceremonies and at kachina dances.’
- 1.2 A small carved figure representing a kachina.
- ‘As the rugs, baskets, ceramics, katsinas, etc., etc., etc. quickly sell, Opice must get the sales information into his database.’
- ‘Silver jewelry, kachinas, and painted pots authenticate the experience by providing a connection to the history, lifeways, and people of the area.’
- ‘Taught by his uncle, Leo has been carving katsinas for more than 20 years, starting at the age of 15.’
- ‘Commercial art includes the making of kachina dolls, silver jewelry, woven baskets, and pottery.’
- ‘Authentic katsina dolls are more than art - they're tangible connections to an ancient culture.’
From Hopi kacina ‘supernatural’, of Keres origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.