One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A deified ancestral spirit in the mythology of Pueblo Indians.
- ‘It's not like me telling people; it's the kachina spirits.’
- ‘The manifestations of spirits, the katsinas, are of supreme importance to the Hopi.’
- ‘Among the Hopi, the kachinas are said to live in the San Francisco peaks near Flagstaff.’
- ‘Next is a sumptuously textured, very abstract picture of three katsinas whose blurry appearance represents the intermediary between the spiritual and physical world.’
- ‘This style is also worn by the Longhair kachina, one of the important Hopi spirits who live in the Peaks and bring rain to Hopiland.’
- 1.1 A person who represents a kachina in ceremonial dances.
- ‘Some ceremonials, such as the Zuni Shalakos, feature kachinas in ten-foot high costumes.’
- ‘Warrior katsinas arrive to punish the clowns for licentious behavior and teach them good Hopi behavior: modest and quiet in conduct, careful and decorous in speech, abstemious and sharing about food, and unselfish about other things.’
- ‘The ripe corn is eaten; corn pollen and meal are used in kiva ceremonies and at kachina dances.’
- ‘As with the turquoise mortgage of the katsina clowns, the idea of reciprocity is central.’
- 1.2 A small carved figure representing a kachina.
- ‘As the rugs, baskets, ceramics, katsinas, etc., etc., etc. quickly sell, Opice must get the sales information into his database.’
- ‘Commercial art includes the making of kachina dolls, silver jewelry, woven baskets, and pottery.’
- ‘Authentic katsina dolls are more than art - they're tangible connections to an ancient culture.’
- ‘Silver jewelry, kachinas, and painted pots authenticate the experience by providing a connection to the history, lifeways, and people of the area.’
- ‘Taught by his uncle, Leo has been carving katsinas for more than 20 years, starting at the age of 15.’
From Hopi kacina ‘supernatural’, of Keres origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.