Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of an indigenous people living in northern Burma (Myanmar) and adjacent parts of China and India.
- ‘Detachment 101 began working with the Kachins behind enemy lines in Burma in December 1942.’
- ‘Perhaps 3 million Burmese, mostly Karens, Kachins, Chins, and Lisu, are Christians who accept animistic rituals like the Burmans, who are mostly Theravada Buddhists.’
- ‘Although they were cited officially only by the Americans, the Kachins were heavily involved in the heterogenous China-Burma-India theater.’
- ‘Shelby Tucker has examined ethnic and cultural diversities and mentioned the social and cultural milieu of the Kokangs, Was, Akhas, Lahus, Karens, Rakhines, Chins, Kachins and Mons in the backdrop of ethnic Burmans.’
- ‘The Allies supported Burmese guerrillas (largely composed of Kachins, Karens, Shans, Chins, Lushais, and Palaungs), who were able to wreak havoc behind Japanese lines.’
- ‘Ethnic Burmese form the majority at 67.4%, and the remainder includes the Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Chins, Kachins and the Kayahs.’
- ‘They are Kachins who are dying to speak to someone.’
- ‘In tribute to the Kachins ' help in World War Two, veterans of the U.S. Office of Strategic Service helped establish this program with funding from the U.S. Congress.’
- ‘But groups with their own states include the Karens, Chins, Shans, Kayahs, Arakanese, Mons and Kachins, and retain their distinctive culture and rural customs.’
- ‘From that remote outpost, they were to expand the partisan war in Burma by advising and supporting the Kachins in conducting guerrilla warfare behind Japanese lines.’
2[mass noun] The Tibeto-Burman language of the Kachin people, with about 500,000 speakers.
- ‘Kachin is the main language among Kachin people and even some people of other ethnicities can speak Kachin.’
- ‘There is one similar spoken language or dialect which shares the same language code: Kachin.’
Relating to the Kachin or their language.
- ‘They were tracking pro-democracy Kachin guerrillas through the jungle.’
- ‘They sneak over the border with something they have taken from the Naga or Kachin tribes - a bearskin shield, a wooden mask - and trade it for salt.’
- ‘We rode on forward and both of us were expecting a shot at any moment, but as we approached I saw that they were not Japanese but Kachin.’
- ‘Each base commander recruited and trained small Kachin elements for his personal protection, for internal defense, and for conducting limited operations - principally sabotage and small ambushes.’
- ‘The population was mainly Burman, with large Karen and Shan minorities and Chin, Kachin, and Naga hill tribes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.