One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large predatory marine fish of the drum family, found in the Mediterranean, eastern Atlantic, and south-western Indian Ocean. It is an important food fish in southern Africa.
Argyrosomus hololepidotus, family SciaenidaeCalled meagre in Britain
- ‘Bake slowly. Allow 45 minutes to 1 hour for a 2.5 kg kabeljou.’
- ‘The company fishes for snoek, kabeljou and calamari, and exports to the Ukraine and Cape Town.’
- ‘Big tuna, kabeljou, sailfish, barracuda and many more are still regularly landed here.’
- ‘A magazine put up N$3000 for the biggest kolstert and the biggest kabeljou will fetch its catcher N$3000 put up by a local bank.’
- ‘Dishes include seafood, from kingklip, hake to kabeljou and mussels as well as lamb and chicken for the meat-lovers.’
Early 18th century: from Afrikaans, from Dutch, ‘cod’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.