Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a group of structures secreting regulatory hormones into the arteriole which leads into a glomerulus in the kidney.‘juxtaglomerular apparatus’
- ‘A drop in pressure results in the release of renin from the juxtaglomerular cells of the kidneys.’
- ‘The macula densa and JG cells are jointly called the juxtaglomerular apparatus.’
- ‘Blood pressure is regulated by the secretion of renin from the juxtaglomerular apparatus which increases reabsorption.’
- ‘Renin is secreted from the juxtaglomerular apparatus of the kidney in response to glomerular underperfusion or a reduced salt intake.’
- ‘If GFR decreases, the filtrate ion concentration decreases; juxtaglomerular cells then dilate the afferent arteriole and renin is released.’
1930s: from Latin juxta near to + glomerular (see glomerulus).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.