Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of hormones regulating larval development in insects and inhibiting metamorphosis.
- ‘Methoprene is a pesticide that acts as a juvenile hormone agonist.’
- ‘Methyl farnesoate is a sesquiterpene that is related to the insect juvenile hormone.’
- ‘With insufficient juvenile hormone, horn growth never starts.’
- ‘Oogenesis in Drosophila is regulated by the steroid hormone ecdysone and the sesquiterpenoid juvenile hormone.’
- ‘The mode of action of methoprene is to directly interfere with normal hormone function by mimicking the insect juvenile hormone.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.