One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in French cuisine) a thin gravy or sauce made from meat juices.‘chicken with a rich game jus’
relish, dressing, condiment, ketchup, flavouringView synonyms
- ‘A big plate of oxtail was many strong bones heaving with lean meat and dark flavour, the jus a little thinner than in a truly ideal world.’
- ‘For the lamb sauce, in a medium saucepan, heat the lamb jus over medium heat.’
- ‘Whole roast grouse may still come with game chips and bread sauce but there is game jus rather than over-thickened gravy.’
- ‘In French meat cookery, jus is roughly equivalent to honestly made thin gravy in the British tradition.’
- ‘The spiced pork was flavoured only delicately, and a touch on the dry side, but that just allowed it to soak up the rich jus with more gusto.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.