One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A weight in professional boxing of 61.2–63.5 kilograms.
- ‘Prospect of 1999 Stephan Carr hosts US-based Dillon Carew over eight rounds at junior welterweight in the main bout.’
- ‘Burnholme Community College student Luke Atkin, 15, fighting at junior welterweight, took gold after defeating home fighter Jamiel Kassem on a unanimous points decision.’
- ‘It has been almost nine years since Leija, now 36, held a world title - at junior lightweight - which is 10 pounds south of junior welterweight.’
- 1.1count noun A junior welterweight boxer.
- ‘Ricky Hatton is the most exciting junior welterweight in Britain, with legions of adoring fans, particularly in the Manchester area.’
- ‘I'm sure boxing would like to see him in there against the likes of the some of the other junior welterweights.’
- ‘The two junior welterweights had staged one of the fights of 2001 last May, when Ward pulled off a points upset.’
- ‘Universally recognized as one of the top-ten junior welterweights in the world, he solidified his stature in the talented 140 lb division.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.