One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A school for young or younger children, in particular (in England and Wales) a school for children aged between 7 and 11.
- ‘Linked to the secondary school is St Katherine's - a 70 pupil junior school - and a sixth form college.’
- ‘Teachers at the junior school were said to be hardworking with every year group receiving good teaching.’
- ‘When my sister taught at a junior school they celebrated all the religious festivals.’
- ‘In 2000, when Flanagan was eleven, the local state high school expanded to include a middle school and a junior school.’
- ‘He said the school's first option was its feeder junior school and then it considered pupils from other schools if there was space.’
- ‘One junior school advised teachers: ‘when taking children on an outing think how you appear to the public’.’
- ‘Our aim is for every pupil in a junior school to go through this scheme.’
- ‘Neighbouring St Peter's School said it would house its junior school there.’
- ‘Others have a different structure - there are, for example, senior schools, junior schools and preparatory schools.’
- ‘The old school is empty since pupils amalgamated with the junior school.’
- ‘Some preparatory or junior schools also offer scholarships, but awards for children under the age of seven are rare.’
- ‘Berkeley Primary School was founded in 1930, originally as separate infant and junior schools.’
- ‘Some 1,200 teaching and non-teaching staff work in 88 secondary schools and composite junior schools.’
- ‘In public sector junior schools, there are 18 children per teacher in Scotland - compared with 23.3 per teacher in London.’
- ‘At the moment it is restricted to junior schools and the first year of high school.’
- ‘The second phase of the project will have a junior school, residential court, dining hall and kitchens.’
- ‘I went to a junior school on Every Street in Nelson and I loved it.’
- ‘It is starting in junior schools with a view to going into secondary schools within the year.’
- ‘A headteacher is stepping down as her infant school joins forces with a neighbouring junior school.’
- ‘One of my schoolmates has a little sister studying in an Australian junior school.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.