One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A school for young or younger children, in particular (in England and Wales) a school for children aged between 7 and 11.
- ‘In public sector junior schools, there are 18 children per teacher in Scotland - compared with 23.3 per teacher in London.’
- ‘Berkeley Primary School was founded in 1930, originally as separate infant and junior schools.’
- ‘Linked to the secondary school is St Katherine's - a 70 pupil junior school - and a sixth form college.’
- ‘The second phase of the project will have a junior school, residential court, dining hall and kitchens.’
- ‘Some preparatory or junior schools also offer scholarships, but awards for children under the age of seven are rare.’
- ‘Our aim is for every pupil in a junior school to go through this scheme.’
- ‘The old school is empty since pupils amalgamated with the junior school.’
- ‘One of my schoolmates has a little sister studying in an Australian junior school.’
- ‘It is starting in junior schools with a view to going into secondary schools within the year.’
- ‘Some 1,200 teaching and non-teaching staff work in 88 secondary schools and composite junior schools.’
- ‘I went to a junior school on Every Street in Nelson and I loved it.’
- ‘A headteacher is stepping down as her infant school joins forces with a neighbouring junior school.’
- ‘Neighbouring St Peter's School said it would house its junior school there.’
- ‘When my sister taught at a junior school they celebrated all the religious festivals.’
- ‘Others have a different structure - there are, for example, senior schools, junior schools and preparatory schools.’
- ‘At the moment it is restricted to junior schools and the first year of high school.’
- ‘In 2000, when Flanagan was eleven, the local state high school expanded to include a middle school and a junior school.’
- ‘One junior school advised teachers: ‘when taking children on an outing think how you appear to the public’.’
- ‘Teachers at the junior school were said to be hardworking with every year group receiving good teaching.’
- ‘He said the school's first option was its feeder junior school and then it considered pupils from other schools if there was space.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.