Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the US and Canada) a school intermediate between an elementary school and a high school, generally for children in the seventh, eighth, and ninth grades.
- ‘The foundation conducted the survey among 1,501 teachers at elementary and junior high schools in June.’
- ‘We left our old junior high school and moved into the nearby high school.’
- ‘The remainder came from two elementary schools and one junior high school.’
- ‘The village only has an elementary school and a junior high school.’
- ‘Garfield was a three-year high school, and the junior high schools that fed it offered only basic math.’
- ‘It took him five years to finish junior high school because of poor grades.’
- ‘The textbook is for use in junior high schools from the academic year of 2006.’
- ‘I was in my senior year in secondary high school, my sister was a senior in junior high school and the twins were in elementary school.’
- ‘Thirty junior high schools, nine high schools and three higher secondary schools have been affected.’
- ‘The Californian state assembly has voted to ban soda sales to elementary school students and restrict sales of the drinks at junior high schools.’
- ‘In reversing that decision, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the law applied only to colleges, not to junior high schools.’
- ‘The other important issue is the use of luxury textbooks, not only in senior and junior high schools, but also in elementary schools.’
- ‘My first job was at a junior high school in southern Colorado Springs.’
- ‘I was working with a class of at-risk readers in a local junior high school.’
- ‘She is in the fourth year at a public junior high school, where her favorite subject is mathematics.’
- ‘Three of the children attend public junior high schools in Japan.’
- ‘Martha is a lunch-hour supervisor at the local junior high school, where she also coaches soccer and basketball teams.’
- ‘It is also currently being expanded to junior high schools.’
- ‘Gray Davis signed a bill last year banning elementary and junior high schools from selling sodas starting in January.’
- ‘At the time, any educator who was modern, progressive, and scientific, or so it seemed, supported vocational and industrial education and the spread of junior high schools.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.