One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US and Canada) a school intermediate between an elementary school and a high school, generally for children in the seventh, eighth, and ninth grades.
- ‘She is in the fourth year at a public junior high school, where her favorite subject is mathematics.’
- ‘The village only has an elementary school and a junior high school.’
- ‘Thirty junior high schools, nine high schools and three higher secondary schools have been affected.’
- ‘I was in my senior year in secondary high school, my sister was a senior in junior high school and the twins were in elementary school.’
- ‘The foundation conducted the survey among 1,501 teachers at elementary and junior high schools in June.’
- ‘At the time, any educator who was modern, progressive, and scientific, or so it seemed, supported vocational and industrial education and the spread of junior high schools.’
- ‘It is also currently being expanded to junior high schools.’
- ‘My first job was at a junior high school in southern Colorado Springs.’
- ‘I was working with a class of at-risk readers in a local junior high school.’
- ‘In reversing that decision, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the law applied only to colleges, not to junior high schools.’
- ‘Garfield was a three-year high school, and the junior high schools that fed it offered only basic math.’
- ‘The other important issue is the use of luxury textbooks, not only in senior and junior high schools, but also in elementary schools.’
- ‘Martha is a lunch-hour supervisor at the local junior high school, where she also coaches soccer and basketball teams.’
- ‘The textbook is for use in junior high schools from the academic year of 2006.’
- ‘Gray Davis signed a bill last year banning elementary and junior high schools from selling sodas starting in January.’
- ‘The remainder came from two elementary schools and one junior high school.’
- ‘The Californian state assembly has voted to ban soda sales to elementary school students and restrict sales of the drinks at junior high schools.’
- ‘Three of the children attend public junior high schools in Japan.’
- ‘It took him five years to finish junior high school because of poor grades.’
- ‘We left our old junior high school and moved into the nearby high school.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.