One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US) a college offering courses for two years beyond high school, either as a complete training or in preparation for completion at a senior college.
- ‘Well, I teach political science at the junior college, and I teach history to my students.’
- ‘In China these institutions are known as workers colleges, junior colleges, and two-year vocational universities.’
- ‘Hood helped him escape a difficult home life and directed him to a junior college to polish his academic record and basketball skills.’
- ‘He grew up in Kansas City, attended high school and junior college locally, then spent four years in the Navy.’
- ‘I think it's encouraging that we're seeing more junior colleges teaching entrepreneurship.’
- ‘We meet just after she finishes high school and starts the local junior college.’
- ‘I can be eligible for both a junior college and a polytechnic!’
- ‘Over time, both a highly regarded accredited high school and junior college would flourish at the Beaufort campus.’
- ‘The campaign will start in elementary schools next week and then be extended to high schools and junior colleges, the ministry said in a statement.’
- ‘There were another seven from high school and junior college.’
- ‘It has control of the development and administration of the Government and Government-aided primary schools, secondary schools, and junior colleges.’
- ‘We can't afford to send her to the polytechnic or the junior colleges here.’
- ‘All primary, secondary schools and junior colleges will be closed until April 6, an official in the government press office told CNN.’
- ‘By 1923 the center had evolved into a junior college, and in 1980 it became a senior college.’
- ‘It was where I graduated from high school, went to junior college and met my wife, Deidre.’
- ‘I have taught courses in mathematics and computer science at various universities ranging from Stanford to junior colleges.’
- ‘His football coach at Peabody High School arranged a summer visit to a Lancaster junior college after he graduated, Hughes said.’
- ‘There should be a smooth transition from community or junior colleges through course articulation.’
- ‘The scholarship includes two years at a junior college with the possibility of transferring to a university.’
- ‘When the public junior college was initially created in 1901, its central mission was transfer education.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.