Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Resembling a jungle, especially in being overgrown and densely tangled:‘jungle-like vegetation surrounds the river’‘a jungle-like garden’
- ‘Slides of New Zealand's world-renown scenery were projected on the outside walls at the entrance to the residence, and guests passed through a jungle-like corridor of beautiful green New Zealand plants to the reception hall.’
- ‘As a W.P.A. writer acknowledged, "South Louisiana takes its character from the French-speaking people who settled the vast, wet terrain, and who in the eighteenth century penetrated its rivers and bayous to make homes for themselves in the jungle-like forests."’
- ‘Childs's crops were so jungle-like that his combine had to move at a crawl to harvest the corn.’
- ‘Canopies of trees jutted out of the waterscape and created a jungle-like maze.’
- ‘Big rivers, formidable mountains and jungle-like rainforest were among the physical challenges.’
- ‘We've been trying to solve the garden's drainage problems recently, but been hampered by the jungle-like growth of most of the things near the ditch.’
- ‘In places, the jungle-like vegetation surrounds the river so densely it feels like an old Tarzan movie (some of which were filmed just a few miles from here).’
- ‘The beds in my garden are jungle-like with the lush foliage I would normally expect to see towards the end of the month rather than at the beginning.’
- ‘The ruins are partially obscured by cloud forests with jungle-like vegetation, but through binoculars the men could see the mountaintop ruins in the distance.’
- ‘The sun was just beginning to dip over the horizon when they arrived at the Imkills' jungle-like habitat three days later.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.