One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in film or television) an abrupt transition from one scene to another.
- ‘They stand alone, but can also be experienced as a lightning-quick montage of jumpcuts.’
- ‘Presented in black-and-white documentary-style, with jumpcuts and hand-held shots, the spot dissolves to quick cuts from Ryan's speech before the Trumbull County organization.’
- ‘There's a jump-cut from the boy stealing his father's car to the moment three days later when his body is found in the water.’
- ‘Slick dramatic lighting and a varied, enjoyable color design smooth out the film's disjointing plot jump-cuts and occasional coincidences.’
- ‘We used a lot of jump-cuts and flash-cuts because thoughts happen that way - they come and go suddenly.’
Make a jump cut.‘the camera jump-cuts to a head-and-shoulders shot of the girl’
- ‘Zany jump-cuts throughout and an impressive supporting cast that includes the hilarious Janeane Garofalo as Matthew's wife make this wild-goose-chase-turned-revenge-plot refreshing and consistently funny.’
- ‘It's nice to see Toback working with a decent budget, and the editing is very interesting: many of the dialogue sequences are filmed entirely in master shots, jump-cutting between takes instead of cutting away to alternate angles.’
- ‘We jump-cut in time, meeting everyone from a prostitute turned schoolteacher to a father who dials his disappeared daughter at a sex-shop number where no one ever answers.’
- ‘He lassoes one and we jump cut to Smith at night with a fire that has something cooking on a spit.’
- ‘The scenes run on or jump-cut into one another.’
- ‘In suspense scenes with multiple characters, we shouldn't have to jump cut to a brief expository discussion about ‘who's next’ to act as a finger string.’
- ‘Right on cue, we jump-cut to a 2003 Corey dressed like it's 1989.’
- ‘There's video clips: Henry rants, and the camera jump cuts about every 700 milliseconds to make sure we know how exciting it is.’
- ‘Stone understands composition and action, and knows when to jump cut and when to hold on the moment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.