One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of several large veins in the neck, carrying blood from the head and face.
- ‘Anesthesia care providers must identify and locate the internal jugular veins for pulmonary artery catheter line placement.’
- ‘One of the anterior jugular veins may have a midline position on the trachea and this must be remembered when performing tracheotomy.’
- ‘In patients with intracranial hypertension, compression of the jugular vein on the side of sound abolishes it.’
- ‘Blood collected from the brachial vein or the jugular vein was used to make blood smears.’
- ‘The appearance of flushing of the face is due to disturbance in pressure in the carotid arteries and jugular veins.’
- ‘The procedure is performed via the internal jugular vein under local anaesthesia with sedation.’
- ‘Any disorder that blocks the flow of spinal fluid between the brain and its route to the blood, the jugular vein, can cause raised pressure.’
- ‘From many of these birds we collected blood samples from the jugular vein.’
- ‘He trailed his fingertips along her throat, the jugular vein.’
- ‘It runs alongside the carotid artery and the jugular vein - treacherous terrain.’
- ‘Distally, they will lie between the carotid and the internal jugular vein.’
- ‘But Crosland said the jugular vein on the right side of his neck swelled up ‘twice the size of an egg.’’
- ‘Physical examination showed signs of cardiac dysfunction, including sinus tachycardia, distended jugular veins, hepatomegaly, and clubbing of the fingers.’
- ‘Another landmark of occasional interest is the jugular foramen - a small hole where the jugular vein exits the braincase.’
- ‘He knew the jugular vein, in the neck, was the biggest vein in the entire body, close to the surface of the skin, and therefore easy to cut.’
- ‘The internal jugular vein is located in the neck.’
- ‘Tinnitus of venous origin can be suppressed by compression of the ipsilateral jugular vein.’
- ‘Cuts he suffered on his neck just missed his jugular vein.’
- ‘They literally had to replace all my old blood with new through the jugular vein in my neck.’
- ‘He retaliated by pushing a glass into her neck, severing her jugular vein.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.