One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the zygoma (the bony arch of the cheek).
- ‘The depression is the scar marking the overlap of the jugal process of the zygomatic arch on to the maxilla, as in therian mammals generally.’
- ‘The zygomatic arch looks right, but the anterior portion is mostly maxilla, rather than jugal.’
- ‘Across the jaw line, the surangular faces the quadratojugal and/or the jugal bones of the cheek region.’
- ‘The right zygomatic arch was fractured at the junction of the jugal and squamosal bones.’
- ‘In order to make room for the bill, the jugal bar reaches the quadrate from a position more laterally than is usually the case.’
Relating to the jugum of an insect's forewing.
Late 16th century: from Latin jugalis, from jugum ‘yoke’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.