[mass noun] Judgement awarded to the plaintiff on the defendant's failure to plead.
- ‘Mangan applied to the High Court for judgment in default of defence.’
- ‘It follows that there is no way in which the retrospective application of the rule can found a basis for obtaining judgment in default.’
- ‘Burying your head in the sand because ‘you can't afford lawyers’ will result in judgement in default.’
- ‘The third defendant did not serve a defence and judgment in default of defence was entered against him.’
- ‘No suggestion of any defence was made until this application in witness statements to support an application and to set aside the judgment in default.’