Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A Japanese system of unarmed combat and physical training.Compare with judo
- ‘In addition to jiu-jitsu he started sparring with professional kickboxers and elite-level wrestlers.’
- ‘The Chinese kempo and Japanese ju-jutsu differ materially in their methods.’
- ‘Smith has studied martial arts for 18 years, concentrating exclusively on ju-jitsu for the last 14 years and has trained all over Europe.’
- ‘The centre is used for ju-jitsu, judo, wing chun, bowls, dancing, a dog club, a car club, a playschool and by a majorette troupe.’
- ‘In the martial art of ju-jitsu, the less powerful uses the strength of the aggressor to immobilize them.’
Japanese jūjutsu, from jū gentle + jutsu skill.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.