Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The control column of an aircraft.
- ‘Pilots use two keyboards and a joystick to fly the craft, and they have to learn the key strokes similar to the old DOS commands of first generation computers.’
- ‘Abruptly, he pushes forward on the joystick again and the glider drops.’
- ‘The pilot flies using a pair of joysticks that control the engines on the aircraft, which made its maiden voyage in December 2001.’
- ‘The pilot straps himself to this bulky rig in a standing position, controlling it with joysticks during vertical takeoff and landing - or VTOL, as we say in the hover biz.’
- ‘But I pulled the wrong thing, instead of the throttle I tilted the joystick.’
- ‘The XL2's handling is quick with conventional joysticks for roll and pitch, but not so brisk as to be touchy.’
- ‘He gritted his teeth and wrestled with the joystick in a vain effort to regain control of his crippled craft.’
- ‘The investigators have recommended the removal of dual control joysticks for all non-training flights.’
- ‘While it's possible to run most of today's sims from the keyboard, their realism improves dramatically with a joystick.’
- ‘As Fox twisted a joystick the plane tilted; a blue arrow showed the part of the lift that was directed inwards.’
- ‘Shields took co-pilot, and once he strapped in, Mitchell pulled back on the joystick, lifting the helicopter off the ground.’
- ‘The computers get their marching orders from the pilot by means of a pair of joysticks, but they won't wait for the pilot's slow reflexes to kick in before taking any necessary corrective action.’
- ‘It was a tandem-seated airplane with a control wheel up front and a joystick in the back.’
- ‘A conventional joystick controls pitch and roll, and the rudder pedals are large and effective.’
- ‘The joystick allows the winchman to adjust the position of the aircraft in regard to the rescuees.’
- ‘Target acquisition is achieved by using the joystick to steer the sight manually or with automatic tracking.’
- 1.1 A lever that can be moved in several directions to control the movement of an image on a computer or similar display screen.
handle, grip, pull, switch, key, knobView synonyms
- ‘The controls can be mapped to the mouse, a joystick or a gamepad.’
- ‘I have the option of controlling with keyboard, joystick, mouse, gamepad, or wheel.’
- ‘The game can be played entirely with cursor keys, but joysticks and gamepads also are supported.’
- ‘Let a child play a computer game with a joystick and he will go on for hours.’
- ‘You can opt to use a joystick or keyboard but the default is using a mouse and I found it more than adequate in handling the game's action.’
- ‘In another section of customs violations - under-declared value - quite recently customs officers managed to disclose a case with imports of computer joysticks.’
- ‘There is no reason to initialize the joystick or CD-ROM if you are not going to use them.’
- ‘Computer games allow joysticks and controllers to change a point of view in response to player actions.’
- ‘Everyone who has a computer has a keyboard, but not everyone has a joystick or gamepad.’
- ‘When it comes to choosing a joystick for your computer, there's really nothing like getting into the shops and getting a bit of hands-on experience.’
- ‘Personally, I prefer the joystick, on a game controller, on the left.’
- ‘But sports titles, racing games, fighting games and certain types of flying games work better with gamepads, simple joysticks and wheels.’
- ‘And all I ever wanted was for my life to mirror that of all the grand adventures I ever read about or directed with a joystick or keyboard.’
- ‘While there is the ability to use a joystick, the keyboard is a better choice to let you pull some hot skate moves.’
- ‘In contrast, other devices available in the market cannot compete with the simplicity and total control that these joysticks have to offer.’
- ‘You may recall that rotary joysticks have handles that rotate to 12 different positions, designed for aiming in certain games.’
- ‘Until now, the only way to delve deeper into a screen is to push forward on a control pad or joystick, or to move a mouse forward.’
- ‘For a game that supports the mouse, the menu screen forces you to use a gamepad / joystick or keyboard to navigate.’
- ‘The joystick also controls playback: nudge it up for play/pause, down for stop.’
- ‘Other methods of control include keyboard and joystick and all methods are fully customizable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.