Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The control column of an aircraft.
- ‘The pilot flies using a pair of joysticks that control the engines on the aircraft, which made its maiden voyage in December 2001.’
- ‘Pilots use two keyboards and a joystick to fly the craft, and they have to learn the key strokes similar to the old DOS commands of first generation computers.’
- ‘While it's possible to run most of today's sims from the keyboard, their realism improves dramatically with a joystick.’
- ‘The pilot straps himself to this bulky rig in a standing position, controlling it with joysticks during vertical takeoff and landing - or VTOL, as we say in the hover biz.’
- ‘The computers get their marching orders from the pilot by means of a pair of joysticks, but they won't wait for the pilot's slow reflexes to kick in before taking any necessary corrective action.’
- ‘Abruptly, he pushes forward on the joystick again and the glider drops.’
- ‘The joystick allows the winchman to adjust the position of the aircraft in regard to the rescuees.’
- ‘A conventional joystick controls pitch and roll, and the rudder pedals are large and effective.’
- ‘Target acquisition is achieved by using the joystick to steer the sight manually or with automatic tracking.’
- ‘As Fox twisted a joystick the plane tilted; a blue arrow showed the part of the lift that was directed inwards.’
- ‘The XL2's handling is quick with conventional joysticks for roll and pitch, but not so brisk as to be touchy.’
- ‘Shields took co-pilot, and once he strapped in, Mitchell pulled back on the joystick, lifting the helicopter off the ground.’
- ‘But I pulled the wrong thing, instead of the throttle I tilted the joystick.’
- ‘He gritted his teeth and wrestled with the joystick in a vain effort to regain control of his crippled craft.’
- ‘It was a tandem-seated airplane with a control wheel up front and a joystick in the back.’
- ‘The investigators have recommended the removal of dual control joysticks for all non-training flights.’
- 1.1A lever that can be moved in several directions to control the movement of an image on a computer or similar display screen.
- ‘When it comes to choosing a joystick for your computer, there's really nothing like getting into the shops and getting a bit of hands-on experience.’
- ‘Until now, the only way to delve deeper into a screen is to push forward on a control pad or joystick, or to move a mouse forward.’
- ‘Everyone who has a computer has a keyboard, but not everyone has a joystick or gamepad.’
- ‘While there is the ability to use a joystick, the keyboard is a better choice to let you pull some hot skate moves.’
- ‘The controls can be mapped to the mouse, a joystick or a gamepad.’
- ‘I have the option of controlling with keyboard, joystick, mouse, gamepad, or wheel.’
- ‘For a game that supports the mouse, the menu screen forces you to use a gamepad / joystick or keyboard to navigate.’
- ‘But sports titles, racing games, fighting games and certain types of flying games work better with gamepads, simple joysticks and wheels.’
- ‘And all I ever wanted was for my life to mirror that of all the grand adventures I ever read about or directed with a joystick or keyboard.’
- ‘In another section of customs violations - under-declared value - quite recently customs officers managed to disclose a case with imports of computer joysticks.’
- ‘There is no reason to initialize the joystick or CD-ROM if you are not going to use them.’
- ‘The joystick also controls playback: nudge it up for play/pause, down for stop.’
- ‘In contrast, other devices available in the market cannot compete with the simplicity and total control that these joysticks have to offer.’
- ‘The game can be played entirely with cursor keys, but joysticks and gamepads also are supported.’
- ‘Other methods of control include keyboard and joystick and all methods are fully customizable.’
- ‘Computer games allow joysticks and controllers to change a point of view in response to player actions.’
- ‘You may recall that rotary joysticks have handles that rotate to 12 different positions, designed for aiming in certain games.’
- ‘Let a child play a computer game with a joystick and he will go on for hours.’
- ‘You can opt to use a joystick or keyboard but the default is using a mouse and I found it more than adequate in handling the game's action.’
- ‘Personally, I prefer the joystick, on a game controller, on the left.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.