One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A thin stick consisting of a substance that burns slowly and with a fragrant smell, used as incense.
- ‘However, smoking is not the only way that cannabis can be consumed, it can be baked into cakes and biscuits, made into tea or even just burned in a room like a joss stick, all of which are harmless.’
- ‘Some people spent more than 400,000 yuan to gain the right to plant the first joss stick in various temples.’
- ‘It's a Chinese tradition to have a joss stick counter outside their temples, so devotees can light them and leave when there is no time to actually walk in and pray.’
- ‘The fire started in Cemetery Road last night when a plant pot caught fire after a joss stick was left unattended.’
- ‘And with it, the scent of fame and glamour and money wafted under her nose, pungent and alluring as any joss stick.’
- ‘Bowing down, they will burn joss sticks and pray for blessings and protection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.