One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Chinese temple.
- ‘The presence of two joss houses in such a small community is unusual - a subject Caltrans hopes to explore further in the interpretive report.’
- ‘Bendigo's Joss House is an internationally-known landmark, one of the oldest joss houses still in use as a place of worship in Australia.’
- ‘Each joss house was usually created and used by Chinese from the one village or district of origin.’
- ‘Sui Sin Far places Pat and Pan in front of the joss house, in a Chinatown setting, in an effort to disrupt the social construction of racial identity, the imposition of Otherness on Chinese- and Eurasian Americans.’
- ‘Commonly called joss houses, some of these temples survived into the twentieth century.’
- ‘The joss houses or temples of Chinatown have no external beauty save in the carved panels of their balconies.’
- ‘The fronts of the joss houses and the restaurants were brightened with many colored lanterns, quaint carved gilded woodwork, potted plants and dwarf trees.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.