Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
plural nounNorth American
Denim shorts.‘turn all your jeans into jorts’
- ‘As far as first impressions go, this is sort of like showing up for junior Prom in jorts.’
- ‘Try baggy jorts and a white tank top.’
- ‘We also saw him turn 36 (which now officially makes it 20 years since he should have stopped wearing jorts).’
- ‘Most people aren't born with an exquisite sense for style and fashion, which explains why Jamz, Hawaiian shirts and jorts have stubbornly refused to go away.’
- ‘Perhaps I just hated the aesthetics of an event where he is the prom king, in his doofusy XXL hockey shirts and calf-length jorts.’
- ‘Proper attire - Leave the jorts and stained sweatpants in your mom's basement.’
- ‘D.J. wrote on Saturday morning about the jersey-wearing Mets fan who rushed the field after Johan Santana's no-hitter and joined in the on-field celebration until security figured out that it was not, in fact, the ghost of Cary Carter, wearing jorts, coming back to revel in the historic accomplishment.’
- ‘Instead, try a breezy gingham button-down shirt, jorts and thong sandals.’
- ‘I feel like people with chin straps have a high propensity for wearing jorts.’
- ‘Tight jorts, Toms, and either an ironic T or a tank top is like the hipster guy uniform here.’
1990s: blend of jeans and shorts.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.