One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1mass noun An oil extracted from the seeds of an American shrub, widely used in cosmetics.
- ‘However, huge quantities of seeds requiring a large investment will be needed to use jojoba oil as a diesel alternative.’
- ‘The scientists used a mixture of 2 drops thyme, 3 drops lavender, 3 drops rosemary and 2 drops of cedar oils in a base of 20 ml grapeseed oil and 3 ml jojoba oil.’
- ‘Your first option is to apply a mixture of frankincense essential oil, lavender essential oil, and jojoba oil to your scar.’
- ‘Colored and/or processed hair needs moisture-drenching ingredients like jojoba oil, olive oil, lanolin, almond oil and shea butter, to help lock in moisture and prevent brittle strands.’
- ‘Look for products with calendula oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil, or almond oil, and avoid sodium lauryl sulfate if possible.’
- ‘If you prefer a perfumed oil, combine 10 to 20 drops of any essential oil and 1 ounce of jojoba oil in a glass bottle with an airtight lid.’
- ‘The lipsticks contain shea butter to smooth and protect the lips, along with rose petal extracts, almond and jojoba oil.’
- ‘Applying moisturizing creams (with ingredients like jojoba oil, aloe and vitamin E) daily will help prevent dryness and cracks, keeping cuticles looking neat and making cutting unnecessary.’
- ‘For an extra-gentle moisturizer, use cold-pressed olive oil or jojoba oil.’
- ‘Most natural makeup bases use products such as jojoba oil and candelilla wax instead of petrochemicals such as mineral oil (a gasoline production by-product), says Upton.’
- ‘Blend together five drops each of jojoba oil, evening primrose oil and carrot oil and three drops of rosemary essential oil with 30 millilitres of slightly warmed castor oil.’
- ‘Some to try: grapefruit, cypress, juniper, clary sage or lemon added to a base of jojoba oil for a massage or bath oil.’
- ‘We also use organic aloe vera gel, sunflower oil, jojoba oil and tea tree oil, to name a few.’
- ‘Shampoos that contain jojoba oil or tea tree oil help eliminate oily deposits and reduce shedding.’
- ‘Organic jojoba oil and aloe vera gel star in this thick conditioner that softens dry, damaged hair.’
- ‘Blend together thoroughly 50 millilitres jojoba oil, 40 millilitres almond oil, 10 millilitres wheat germ oil and 10 drops of lavender oil, adding the lavender oil last.’
- ‘Eco Lips organic lip balm is also petroleum free and uses 70 percent certified organic ingredients, such as beeswax, calendula, jojoba oil and peppermint oil.’
- ‘One of the largest and longest-running outdoor markets in Southern California, this year-round market offers uniquely West Coast items such as jojoba oil and fresh avocados.’
- ‘Sometimes referred to as hair masks, these deep-conditioning products often contain amino acids, panthenol, balsam, shea butter, and sweet almond or jojoba oil.’
- ‘Almond oil, a light olive oil or jojoba oil can all work as base oils.’
2The leathery-leaved evergreen shrub or small tree that produces the seeds from which jojoba is obtained, native to south-western North America.
- ‘Oil from the jojoba shrub, commonly used in cosmetics, may prove to be another alternative to diesel fuel.’
- ‘We also learn that the jojoba, or Simmondsia chinensis, helped save the sperm whale, after it was discovered that oil from the plant had properties similar to whale oil and could be used to lubricate high-speed machinery.’
- ‘These tiny spheres, derived from the seeds of the jojoba plant, are uniform in size and shape and are far less irritating to the skin.’
Early 20th century: from Mexican Spanish.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.