Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A length of timber or steel supporting part of the structure of a building, typically arranged in parallel series to support a floor or ceiling.
joist, purlin, girder, spar, support, strut, stay, brace, scantling, batten, transom, lintel, stringer, baulk, board, timber, plank, lath, rafterView synonyms
- ‘If your attic has metal joists, you may want to place rigid foam insulation between the joists and the ceiling drywall.’
- ‘Painted metal decking supported by steel joists forms its underside.’
- ‘Determine the height of the new ceiling you want and install new ceiling joists from opposite roof joists.’
- ‘Use plywood walk boards or wooden planks over the ceiling joists for support.’
- ‘Otherwise, wood furring strips can be nailed to the old ceiling or joists and the new tiles are stapled to these.’
- ‘Often, reflective insulation materials have flanges that are to be stapled to joists in attics or floors, or to wall studs.’
- ‘Reflective systems are typically located between roof rafters, floor joists, or wall studs.’
- ‘It's ok to nail the upper wall plates into the upper floor joists.’
- ‘Batts are made to fit between the studs in your walls or between the joists of your ceilings or floors.’
- ‘If you are unable to screw directly into the ceiling joists, the use of toggle bolts is permitted.’
- ‘Ledgers are often placed at the same level as the floor joists of the first floor, and this automatically solves the problem.’
- ‘Kip chose oriented strand board for the subfloors and sheathing, with floor joists made of a similar material.’
- ‘These strips, or tracks, are attached to the ceiling joists and support the tiles.’
- ‘The two adjustable arms attach to the ceiling joists to support the fan in the desired location.’
- ‘Otherwise, wood furring strips are first nailed to the old ceiling or joists and the new files are stapled to these.’
- ‘Attach a block to each of the exposed joists where the joist meets the deck board using four 3-in. #8 exterior screws.’
- ‘Then toenail the joist through the joist into the girder.’
- ‘Do not step through attic floor joists onto the ceiling of the room below.’
- ‘Suspended ceilings are hung from the ceiling joists with a metal grid.’
- ‘There was nothing spectacular about the construction, the walls were brick and the ceiling joists heavy timber.’
Late Middle English giste, from Old French, beam supporting a bridge, based on Latin jacere lie down.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.