One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the US Congress) a resolution passed by both the Senate and the House of Representatives.‘a joint resolution called for mobilization of the National Guard and reserves’
- ‘As a joint resolution, the measure has the force and effect of law.’
- ‘During that time, Congress could have rejected the measure using a joint resolution of disapproval.’
- ‘The National Gallery of Art began by joint resolution of US Congress and was founded as a result in 1937.’
- ‘In 1990 the President approved a joint resolution designating November 1990 "National American Indian Heritage Month."’
- ‘Congress discontinued its practice of joint resolutions for national weeks of various kinds.’
- ‘The 1845 Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas affirms Texas' right to divide itself into five states if it chooses.’
- ‘Congress has 60 days to block the regulation by passing a joint resolution and sending it to the president for his signature.’
- ‘However, Texas is not a unique case of the use of a joint resolution of Congress to annex foreign land.’
- ‘Hawaii was formally annexed by a joint resolution of Congress shortly thereafter.’
- ‘Throughout the next several years, Congress continued to pass joint resolutions designating a week in March as Women's History Week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.