One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bank account held by more than one person, each individual having the right to deposit and withdraw funds.
- ‘She held three personal accounts and the couple had a number of joint accounts.’
- ‘Participants were allowed to contribute all or part of their monetary resources to either the personal account or to the joint account.’
- ‘In doing so, he would treat the money standing to the credit of the joint account as funds available for his own purposes.’
- ‘A joint account cannot be used to fund any SSIA by an unmarried cohabiting couple.’
- ‘My husband Paul and I set up a joint account with AIB in the early 1970s and lodged savings into it.’
- ‘My wife and I have joint accounts at the bank and building society where either of us can sign cheques and make withdrawals.’
- ‘For example, the Swiss bank account was a joint account with his father.’
- ‘Setting up a joint account for household bills but keeping your individual bank accounts could be a happy compromise.’
- ‘Since we have a joint account, she could withdraw larger amounts inside the bank.’
- ‘In the co-owned example, less tax is saved but a joint account requiring both signatures for withdrawal provides a little more security.’
- ‘I have a direct debit from my Barclays sole account to our NatWest joint account.’
- ‘We contribute a part of our monthly saving towards maintaining a joint account in the bank.’
- ‘The joint account was kept in funds by payments from her investments, and it was used solely for her needs.’
- ‘The liquidator was entitled to claim the funds in the joint account on behalf of MG's creditors.’
- ‘When the husband left home, the couple continued to use a joint account.’
- ‘Other types of non-probate assets include payable-on-death accounts, joint accounts held with rights of survivorship, life insurance and annuities.’
- ‘Then decide whether you want to open a joint account so that your monthly expenses are paid by direct debit.’
- ‘On the death of her father, Mrs. McKenzie received $42, 658.46 and deposited the funds into the joint account of the couple.’
- ‘Individuals, couples, families and small communities can avail personal accounts and joint accounts.’
- ‘I never looked at the joint account bank statements (as opposed to my husband), not even to check the balances.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.