One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A benefit paid by the state to a person who is unemployed and looking for work.
- ‘There is a reduction in underlying estimates for contributory jobseeker's allowance of approximately 20 million due to lower unemployment assumptions.’
- ‘The legislation makes it clear that there is only one jobseeker's allowance.’
- ‘Those signing on for jobseeker's allowance will be under an obligation to take part in the language-learning opportunities wherever possible or face " benefit sanctions ".’
- ‘This provision therefore did not prevent Mr Kanidagli from being entitled to income support and a jobseeker's allowance.’
- ‘A jobseeker's allowance is payable in respect of a week.’
- ‘Mr Pearce said the course does not affect benefits such as jobseeker's allowance.’
- ‘The appellant is not entitled to jobseeker's allowance from and including 1 June 1999 to 13 June 1999 inclusive.’
- ‘This is offset by a decrease in incapacity benefit and contributory jobseeker's allowance.’
- ‘The sort of record that makes you thankful for the existence of the jobseeker's allowance.’
- ‘For the immediate period after he loses his job, he will be entitled to jobseeker's allowance based on his contribution record.’
- ‘Estimated expenditure on contribution-based jobseeker's allowance has also been reduced slightly, due to a reduction in the assumed level of unemployment.’
- ‘They live off a jobseeker's allowance or other benefits.’
- ‘The entitlement of the appellant to jobseeker's allowance ceased on 1 June 1999.’
- ‘All the others depend on jobseeker's allowance, which imposes stiff penalties on people who fail to seek work.’
- ‘Of 600 made redundant since July 2002, 33 are claiming jobseeker's allowance.’
- ‘These are defined as compulsory full-time community activities that will be exchanged for the pittance that is jobseekers' allowance.’
- ‘The next benefits to be put on line are likely to be full jobseeker's allowance, followed by child benefit and tax credits.’
- ‘Recipients of income support or income-based jobseeker's allowance will automatically receive the full amount of child tax credit.’
- ‘She also allegedly made dishonest claims for jobseeker's allowance and income support.’
- ‘The move is aimed at the district's 26,150 people on incapacity benefit and 9,200 on jobseeker's allowance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.