One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a government office in a town displaying information and giving advice about available jobs and being involved in the administration of benefits to unemployed people.
- ‘A fireman was shot as he tried to douse a blazing jobcentre and a police dog handler survived a bullet ricocheting inside his vehicle.’
- ‘The coalition was welcomed by Gary Sykes, office manager for jobcentre plus in Bradford.’
- ‘The refugees reach the project either by word of mouth or by referrals from jobcentres or groups set up to help asylum seekers.’
- ‘I think the idea is to combine jobcentres and benefit offices.’
- ‘Staff at jobcentres have been ordered to take down Christmas decorations, which are also barred at Red Cross shops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.