One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) a government office in a town displaying information and giving advice about available jobs and being involved in the administration of benefits to unemployed people.
- ‘I think the idea is to combine jobcentres and benefit offices.’
- ‘The refugees reach the project either by word of mouth or by referrals from jobcentres or groups set up to help asylum seekers.’
- ‘Staff at jobcentres have been ordered to take down Christmas decorations, which are also barred at Red Cross shops.’
- ‘The coalition was welcomed by Gary Sykes, office manager for jobcentre plus in Bradford.’
- ‘A fireman was shot as he tried to douse a blazing jobcentre and a police dog handler survived a bullet ricocheting inside his vehicle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.