Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vociferous supporter of policy favouring war, especially in the name of patriotism.as modifier ‘the feverish excitement of the jingo crowds’
racist, racialist, ethnocentric, ethnocentristView synonyms
- ‘Certainly, the leadership of the violent jingo crowds was middle-class.’
- ‘I'm sure the illustration below went down like a Steve Bell cartoon with the jingoes.’
- ‘The Olympic Games is a festival of nationalism, a gourmandising 17-day feast of jingo.’
- ‘A jingo is a jingo wherever we meet him, and as far as we are concerned there is no close season for jingoes.’
- ‘Over and over, the new American jingoes depict the U.S. as somehow a victim in the international economy.’
dated An exclamation of surprise.
- ‘It may not be sexy but, by jingo, there is an air about it that I believe every hard-working, middle-of-the-road New Zealander would agree with.’
- ‘Regular folks may not be seeing Westerns much any more, but, by jingo, scholarly folks sure do love to write about 'em.’
- ‘We don't want to fight, but by jingo, if we do, We've got the ships, we've got the men, we've got the money, too.’
- ‘By jingoes I'm looking forward to seeing the footage of what Deep Impact's up to on Monday.’
- ‘By jingo, I thought, I might actually be good at this.’
- ‘By jingo, there are some good stoushes between media and governments at the moment.’
Late 17th century (originally a conjuror's word): by jingo (and the noun sense) come from a popular song adopted by those supporting the sending of a British fleet into Turkish waters to resist Russia in 1878. The chorus ran: ‘We don't want to fight, yet by Jingo! if we do, We've got the ships, we've got the men, and got the money too’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.