One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- North American term for thorn apple
- ‘And I found out that jimson weed is also called Datura and has been in use as a shamanic psychotropic substance, and a folk medicine forever.’
- ‘They spared no opprobrium in describing jimson weed as ‘a true weed… vile smelling and generally obnoxious.’’
- ‘This species also includes tobacco, poisonous belladonna, and the toxic plants herbane, mandrake, and jimson weeds.’
- ‘Datura is jimson weed and these ornamental plants with the large, white, bell-like flowers.’
- ‘Four teenagers consumed hallucinogenic and poisonous jimson weed Thursday night and were hospitalized with fast heartbeats and impaired vision.’
- ‘Eliza apparently found foxglove, henbane, and jimson weed growing in Serena's pleasant little garden.’
Late 17th century (originally as Jamestown weed): named after Jamestown in Virginia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.