One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used in phrases as an expression of surprise.‘by Jiminy, she was right’‘Jiminy Cricket!’
- ‘What in the name of Jiminy did these freaks think they were achieving?’
- ‘Alright, let's see what we've got - Jiminy Cricket!’
- ‘Jumping Jiminy's eyelash curlers, I'm going to be so late!’
- ‘Of course, then Black's e-pawn is backwards and… Jiminy crickets!’
- ‘Work, self-reliance and a refusal to surrender were his goals and by Jiminy, his family had to achieve them.’
Early 19th century: alteration of Gemini used as a mild oath in the mid 17th century, a euphemistic form of Jesus (Christ).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.