One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The crisp white-fleshed edible tuber of the yam bean, used especially in Mexican cooking.
- ‘Among Nichols's innovations are jicama for cool crunch and corn chips instead of toasted croutons for crispness.’
- ‘He liked homemade carrot juice, nutty sunflower pate, roast jicama with a little balsamic vinegar, organic multigrain bread, and cholesterol-free egg substitute.’
- ‘First, there are the crisp, watery roots, such as carrots, jicama, radishes, and lotus root.’
- ‘Again, kiwi fruit and jicama were the most commonly liked, followed by red bell pepper, chickpeas, and avocado.’
- ‘If you like, add slivered fresh spinach leaves, diced jicama, blanched and slivered snow peas, supremed oranges, or a bit of julienned mint.’
- ‘Between 25% and 50% of students asked their parents/caregivers for kiwi, red bell pepper, and jicama within the week after the tour.’
- ‘The pulled pork was served cold but was exceptionally tender, and the potato-like jicama was served very effectively in small slices.’
- ‘Try chomping on baby carrots, apple slices, jicama sticks, green beans or other crunchy vegetables dunked in a tasty, low-fat dip.’
- ‘Most of the Mexican jicama crop goes to the United States.’
- ‘First dish out from the kitchen was a seaweed salad beautifully presented inside a cylindrical basket of root vegetable I guess was jicama.’
- ‘Spoon a portion of the tangerine sauce around the hash and garnish with the mango, red pepper, jicama, jalapeño, lime slice, and cilantro sprig.’
- ‘Second course is a heart of palm and jicama salad with a tequila-passion fruit vinaigrette.’
- ‘Open up to new food experiences, and you never know - you may come to love yuca, jicama and chayotes.’
- ‘To assemble the sushi: Brush beef slices and four slices of jicama with sauce and sprinkle with shallots.’
- ‘Salads such as the grapefruit and jicama and green papaya show off pristinely cut vegetables.’
- ‘Cut the fruit and jicama into same-size slices and stack them.’
- ‘Next, cut each jicama half vertically into thin slices.’
- ‘Trevisio served seared tuna with jicama, arugula and baby grapefruit, while 17 Restaurant dished up marinated fluke with citrus and shaved beet salad.’
- ‘Place two jicama stars on top and drizzle some herb oil around the dish.’
- ‘Corn and jicama are tossed with green romaine lettuce for a twist on the classic Caesar salad.’
Early 17th century: from Mexican Spanish jícama, from Nahuatl xicama.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.