Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A bivalve mollusc which has a robust shell with a rough or spiny surface. It lives in warm seas, attached to rock or coral.
2A storage box for a CD.
- ‘I just can't care about a CD in a jewel case that much.’
- ‘He smiled, reached into the invisible depths of his box, and pulled out a shiny jewel case with an unmarked CD in it.’
- ‘The CSI package is a huge disappointment as once inside the box you'll find nothing except for a quad jewel case.’
- ‘On the CD jewel case, you can see a sticker: ‘WARNING: This CD contains pure intervals which may be habit forming!’’
- ‘You know, I'd be real surprised if Mark Arm and Grady Runyan aren't already sleeping with the jewel case under their pillows each night.’
- ‘There was a letter attached, two pages, and a CD in a jewel case.’
- ‘I drew the picture on the inside of the jewel case.’
- ‘Axal reached underneath the nearest synthesizer board and came back up with a naked jewel case containing a blank-faced silver CD.’
- ‘The sticker on the jewel case informs us that Young Heart Attack sound like ‘AC/DC jamming with The Supremes’.’
- ‘Besides, you got to ride your sister's bike there (the one that has the Barbie stickers), and your pockets can't hold a CD jewel case.’
- ‘She opened the jewel case and dropped the CD into the room's music centre.’
- ‘Abhidar opened the jewel case, and looked inside.’
- ‘However, the cover is purely pictorial, so a further sticker saying ‘The White Stripes ELEPHANT’ had been stuck on the front of the jewel case.’
- ‘Inside the box is a quad jewel case with four CDs.’
- ‘There's a good utility knife in the knife block, perfect for cutting the cellophane without risking damaging the CD jewel case.’
- ‘I made a face at him, closing the jewel case with a snap.’
- ‘If you sell CDs online, for example, your jewel case provider will feel the impact in terms of more orders from you.’
- ‘Don't bend and force the discs out of the jewel case.’
- ‘He took the jewel case out of the cardboard box and studied the CD.’
- ‘Besides the sparsely clothed model on the cover of the jewel case, the first thing that caught my eyes was the word, reggaetron.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.