One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large jet aircraft carrying passengers.
jet planeView synonyms
- ‘Stingers can shoot down aircraft, including civilian jetliners, flying at low altitudes.’
- ‘The asylum-seekers arrived in the Philippine capital on Friday night aboard a China Southern Airlines jetliner from Beijing.’
- ‘News reports said the planes were jetliners, a 757 and a 767.’
- ‘For safety's sake, starting November 23, all domestic airlines were ordered to ground their Bombardier CRJ - 200 jetliners for inspection.’
- ‘Several passengers on the jetliner, which took off from Bombay, said the pilot told them there had been an ‘exercise’ to test security.’
- ‘During the past two decades, more than 60 airplanes, mostly commercial jetliners, have been damaged by in-flight encounters with volcanic ash.’
- ‘It is not often that larger jetliners experience sudden depressurization, but these events do occur for a variety of reasons.’
- ‘After boarding the Ariana jetliner, Rahman found himself and his aircraft surrounded by several thousand irate pilgrims.’
- ‘The unusual pact would see Boeing's 767 jetliners converted to tankers and leased to the military.’
- ‘Meanwhile all 251 passengers on the jetliner died.’
- ‘For safety's sake, all domestic airlines were ordered to ground their Bombardier CRJ - 200 jetliners for inspection after the accident.’
- ‘Airline mechanics are inspecting hundreds of MD - 80 series jetliners.’
- ‘Chinese Airforce pilots are renowned for unswerving confidence in their ability to land jetliners with only half the runway allotted - just like a fighter jet.’
- ‘The order for 50 jetliners is the largest by a single airline in the history of Boeing, which valued it at $6 billion based on 7E7 price lists.’
- ‘The Boeing Company is the largest aerospace company in the world, and the leader in manufacturing both commercial jetliners and military aircraft.’
- ‘‘The future of our core business - building and selling jetliners - is tied to the future of the air-traffic system,’ he said.’
- ‘In Britain, Royal Air Force fighter planes scrambled today to escort a Greek jetliner to a London airport.’
- ‘The ideal jetliner, the ideal helicopter, the ideal fighter shapes have already been discovered, given what we know.’
- ‘However, there is growing suspicion that the jetliner, which was carrying 179 people, may have hit an object on the runaway before the crash.’
- ‘There were only very small pieces of that American Airlines jetliner.’
1940s: blend of jet and airliner.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.