Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large jet aircraft carrying passengers.
jet plane, jetlinerView synonyms
- ‘Several passengers on the jetliner, which took off from Bombay, said the pilot told them there had been an ‘exercise’ to test security.’
- ‘It is not often that larger jetliners experience sudden depressurization, but these events do occur for a variety of reasons.’
- ‘The asylum-seekers arrived in the Philippine capital on Friday night aboard a China Southern Airlines jetliner from Beijing.’
- ‘The Boeing Company is the largest aerospace company in the world, and the leader in manufacturing both commercial jetliners and military aircraft.’
- ‘Meanwhile all 251 passengers on the jetliner died.’
- ‘Stingers can shoot down aircraft, including civilian jetliners, flying at low altitudes.’
- ‘For safety's sake, starting November 23, all domestic airlines were ordered to ground their Bombardier CRJ - 200 jetliners for inspection.’
- ‘The ideal jetliner, the ideal helicopter, the ideal fighter shapes have already been discovered, given what we know.’
- ‘Airline mechanics are inspecting hundreds of MD - 80 series jetliners.’
- ‘However, there is growing suspicion that the jetliner, which was carrying 179 people, may have hit an object on the runaway before the crash.’
- ‘News reports said the planes were jetliners, a 757 and a 767.’
- ‘After boarding the Ariana jetliner, Rahman found himself and his aircraft surrounded by several thousand irate pilgrims.’
- ‘In Britain, Royal Air Force fighter planes scrambled today to escort a Greek jetliner to a London airport.’
- ‘‘The future of our core business - building and selling jetliners - is tied to the future of the air-traffic system,’ he said.’
- ‘The unusual pact would see Boeing's 767 jetliners converted to tankers and leased to the military.’
- ‘For safety's sake, all domestic airlines were ordered to ground their Bombardier CRJ - 200 jetliners for inspection after the accident.’
- ‘There were only very small pieces of that American Airlines jetliner.’
- ‘During the past two decades, more than 60 airplanes, mostly commercial jetliners, have been damaged by in-flight encounters with volcanic ash.’
- ‘The order for 50 jetliners is the largest by a single airline in the history of Boeing, which valued it at $6 billion based on 7E7 price lists.’
- ‘Chinese Airforce pilots are renowned for unswerving confidence in their ability to land jetliners with only half the runway allotted - just like a fighter jet.’
1940s: blend of jet and airliner.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.