One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An engine using jet propulsion for forward thrust, mainly used for aircraft.
- ‘The sound of the rotary is unmistakably unique, somewhere between a jet engine and a turbine.’
- ‘Most modern high-speed aircraft use a very different type of engine - the jet engine.’
- ‘Both a jet engine and a rocket engine function by expelling hot gases opposite to the direction of desired acceleration.’
- ‘Developed in Holland it is driven by a helicopter, Rolls Royce jet engine equipped with an afterburner.’
- ‘After World War II, the jet engine revolutionized bomber aircraft.’
- ‘The small, winged AGM-86B is powered by a turbofan jet engine that propels it at sustained subsonic speeds.’
- ‘He also said the engine looked like a jet engine.’
- ‘A single bird can totally destroy a jet engine or tear a hole in an aircraft's fuselage or windscreen.’
- ‘Not only was the jet engine barely a working idea but the advantages of the swept wing simply were not known.’
- ‘To produce electricity, natural gas is burned in a turbine similar to a jet engine, and the turbine runs a generator.’
- ‘A conventional jet engine does this as well but theoretically a scramjet can operate at much higher speeds.’
- ‘On June 10 Honda flew its latest jet engine design for the first time.’
- ‘The Tucano is meant to handle like a jet engine and, despite its propellers, it also has a turbine engine.’
- ‘And in the eternal battle against eagle and jet engine, I tended to root for the jet engine.’
- ‘The propeller or the jet engine of an aircraft pushes air backwards to propel the aircraft forward.’
- ‘Likewise, a jet engine producing 5,000 pounds of thrust could hold 5,000 pounds of material suspended in the air.’
- ‘There was a muted roar combined with a yelp from Happy as the Turbo jet engine started.’
- ‘The bottom side looked like turbine blades in a jet engine, but they were moving slow enough to see.’
- ‘The Wright's may have invented the first real aeroplane, but the credit for the invention of the jet engine goes to Sir Frank Whittle.’
- ‘The jet engine and the rocket engine have different nozzles because they are harnessing two different kinds of propulsion.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.