One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Of or concerning the Jesuits.
- ‘I think that his view of his role as that person was almost as a Jesuitical moderator in a sinful society.’
- ‘It sounds logical; one might even say Jesuitical.’
- ‘I think that his view of his role was almost as a Jesuitical moderator in a sinful society.’
- ‘There is something Jesuitical about the relationship of these historians to Marxism.’
- ‘A slightly less daunting local monument is the Jesuitical college, built at much the same time and now occupied by the university's economics faculty.’
- ‘The editor of the Catholic Herald was somewhat Jesuitical when I argued with him in a BBC studio yesterday.’
- ‘Blackrock's authorities clearly see their teaching methods in the Jesuitical tradition of ‘Give me the boy and I'll give you the man.’’
- 1.1 Dissembling or equivocating, in the manner once associated with Jesuits.
- ‘The Jesuitical point here is that Blair chooses not to regard as ‘leaking’ the method he used to throw Kelly to the wolves.’
- ‘In the less melodramatic case of airport security lines, the government's solution involves the splendidly Jesuitical distinction between ‘lines’ and ‘lanes.’’
- ‘For all his mild and gentlemanlike manner he was also tough and uncompromising, a Jesuitical loner in a companionable game.’
- ‘The level of full disclosure that's required is Jesuitical.’
- ‘Is this one of those Jesuitical compromises, where we are putting the end before the means?’
- ‘You have offered me a typically Jesuitical explanation, but still no apology.’
- ‘We marvelled at this truly Jesuitical response, and listened intensely.’
- ‘Distinctions drawn in the farmers' market business are Jesuitical, the meaning of ‘farmers' market’ itself the most interesting topic going.’
- ‘Encouraged by a little Jesuitical reasoning to the effect that death has released him from his promise, he may yet plumb the depths of Coombs the man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.