One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A free-swimming marine coelenterate with a gelatinous bell- or saucer-shaped body that is typically transparent and has stinging tentacles around the edge.
Classes Scyphozoa and Cubozoa
- ‘Plastic bags when filled with water resemble jellyfish, the turtle's staple diet.’
- ‘The official season of the dreaded stinging jellyfish has begun.’
- ‘As we surfaced, a lone lion's mane jellyfish pulsed.’
- ‘Mr Jordan brushed against the tiny yet extremely poisonous jellyfish swimming near Hamilton Island in northern Queensland on Wednesday.’
- ‘Like jellyfish, Medusa can sting an enemy with its tentacles.’
- ‘When the females are bigger than 7 cm they never find jellyfish tentacles.’
- ‘Thousands of giant jellyfish with 30 foot stinging tentacles have invaded the seas around Scotland.’
- ‘Man-eating saltwater crocodiles lurk in nearby estuaries along with the deadly box jellyfish, the most poisonous creature on earth.’
- ‘The whole thing looked very organic, something like a giant jellyfish.’
- ‘Certain Pacific jellyfish are much more dangerous, but they are limited to the waters around Australia.’
- ‘A giant monster resembling a giant jellyfish emerged from the lava pool and wrapped its tentacles around Lupus.’
- ‘You will also be well aware of the unusually large numbers of jellyfish in the sea at this time.’
- ‘Lynn jumped as a jellyfish swam by her.’
- ‘When the mice were born, they carried the jellyfish gene in their own genes.’
- ‘If you should get stung by a box jellyfish, you won't get off lightly.’
- ‘Hopefully we won't be maimed by saltwater crocodiles, eaten by sharks, or stung by poisonous jellyfish.’
- ‘Then there's the famous glow-in-the-dark rabbit, created by an artist using a fluorescent jellyfish gene.’
- ‘The pink jellyfish grow to three feet in diameter and their tentacles can reach 70 feet.’
- ‘The camera passes through a barrage of deadly jellyfish, emerging unscathed on the other side.’
- ‘Water sports are popular in the Persian Gulf, although jellyfish prevent swimming there.’
2informal A feeble person.
- ‘Frankie was a spineless jellyfish that didn't deserve to make money from Tan.’
- ‘It's a tragedy regardless of how it happened and people like you who lecture after an accident are the lowest form of weak willed spineless jellyfish.’
- ‘His father is a spineless jellyfish who lets his wife rule with an iron fist.’
- ‘I suppose you have no qualms about being spineless jellyfish - so long as you win elections - right?’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.