Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A jelly-like sweet in the stylized shape of a baby.
- ‘Every pint of lager or cider, or every bottle of alco-pop has more calories than a pack of Maltesers or a KitKat, or 10 jelly babies.’
- ‘In recompense, he was given a free chicken salad sandwich and all the jelly babies he could eat.’
- ‘Most have been of a technical nature, but one new idea possibly not seen before at Threshfield is the introduction of jelly babies at half-time.’
- ‘Sara said: ‘On the race day I can only eat jelly babies for some reason.’’
- ‘Harriet manages to pick a seat covered in melted jelly babies.’
- ‘He pulled a bag of lollies out from his bag, it was a red packet filled with mixed snakes, jelly babies, frogs and many other sweet treats to eat.’
- ‘We know you are said to like jelly babies, but what do you think about politics?’
- ‘In their hands they were holding wine gums, jelly babies, digestive biscuits and, in one case, cocktail sausages.’
- ‘‘I've eaten enough for three days,’ I said scoffing some orange jelly babies.’
- ‘I've only just discovered how delicious jelly babies are here in the UK.’
- ‘In an instant the smell of stale jelly babies reached his nose, he turned towards me and I was able to pull him out of the inner coven's reach.’
- ‘Certain toffees are enjoyed for their chewy or stretchy texture, and rituals develop around other sweets - such as biting the heads off jelly babies.’
- ‘And we did have a bag of jelly babies for pudding.’
- ‘They are running a promotion on some kind of jelly baby / wine gum hybrid, ‘with real wine!’’
- ‘I continued to sniff away and although it still didn't resemble anything edible, I didn't even think about chocolate or jelly babies all afternoon.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.