One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small, sturdy motor vehicle with four-wheel drive, especially one used by the military.
- ‘And there was also a display of military vehicles, including a number of jeeps and a motorcycle.’
- ‘Transportation elements consisted of trucks, jeeps, and armored personnel carriers.’
- ‘I knew the four-wheel-drive jeeps were the only ones that could reach the villages.’
- ‘Burnley were hustled out of the ground and back to the airport with an escort of an armoured lorry and nine military jeeps.’
- ‘We got there on a tourist coach from Port Said accompanied by armed police and soldiers in jeeps bristling with guns.’
Second World War (originally US): from the initials GP, standing for general purpose, influenced by ‘Eugene the Jeep’, a creature of great resourcefulness and power represented in the Popeye comic strip.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.