One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- North American term for peccary
- ‘This unique region also hosts an impressive array of other wildlife, including blacktail prairie dogs, gray foxes, and piglike javelinas.’
- ‘Other creatures can also flourish there, including quail, jackrabbits, and small, wild pigs called javelinas.’
- ‘Collared peccaries, or javelinas, may be the agents most responsible for moving leguminous tree seeds back upstream.’
- ‘At the same time my friend and hunting companion took a trophy whitetail, a huge javelina, and a big tom turkey.’
- ‘I often hunt in Texas where one could encounter whitetail, javelina, and turkey all from the same blind on the same morning.’
Early 19th century: from Spanish jabalina, from the feminine form of jabalí ‘wild boar’, from Arabic jabali ‘mountaineer’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.