Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An Old World shrub or climbing plant which is popular as an ornamental and bears fragrant white, pink, or yellow flowers.
- ‘The fence will look truly stark and bare when it's gone, so I shall plant three or four vigorous climbing jasmines along it, water, and retire to a safe distance.’
- ‘She caught a whiff of perfumed fragrance as she passed a row of purple lilacs, and white jasmines.’
- ‘I like the wildness of the two plants that look charming together, with the small white fragrant flowers of the jasmine contrasting beautifully with the reddish purple ones of the clematis.’
- ‘Living and dining spaces are clustered to the east of the patio, overlooking and opening out on to a large garden, lushly planted with jasmine, fig trees and jacaranda.’
- ‘Climbing roses, jasmine and honeysuckle were trained up the walls and rosemary and lavender borders lined the flower beds.’
- 1.1Used in names of other shrubs or climbers with fragrant flowers, e.g. Cape jasmine, yellow jasmine.
- ‘Yellow Jasmines are little coned shape flowers that you can find growing like a vine on trees.’
- ‘Cape jasmine is originally a species from temperate climates. In tropical areas it grows well, at altitudes of 400-1200 m. In the tropical lowland it flowers poorly or not at all. It prefers sunny places.’
- ‘Some climbing plants such as the Wisteria can be pruned back to this scaffold for many years, while other climbers such as star jasmine are often too vigorous to be trained in this way beyond the second year.’
Mid 16th century: from French jasmin and obsolete French jessemin, from Arabic yāsamīn, from Persian yāsamīn.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.