Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Asian shrub of the rose family, with bright red flowers followed by round white, green, or yellow edible fruits.Also called Japanese quince
- ‘Underneath you could plant Mahonia japonica, a handsome all-year round shrub, with lily of the valley scented yellow flowers in early winter.’
- ‘Catch up on the pruning and in particular the cutting back of spring-flowering shrubs such as Kerria japonica and winter jasmine.’
- ‘The Japanese quince, Chaenomeles japonica, is one of the more common spring flowering shrubs to be found in our gardens.’
- ‘A new shrub to our garden this year is the summer flowering Spiraea japonica Anthony Waterer which is still blooming here well into October.’
- ‘Summer flower species such as Spiraea japonica flower on growth made in the current year.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin, feminine of japonicus Japanese.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.