One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Asian shrub of the rose family, with bright red flowers followed by round white, green, or yellow edible fruits.
Genus Chaenomeles, family Rosaceae: several species, in particular C. speciosa, which is grown as an ornamentalAlso called Japanese quince
- ‘A new shrub to our garden this year is the summer flowering Spiraea japonica Anthony Waterer which is still blooming here well into October.’
- ‘Underneath you could plant Mahonia japonica, a handsome all-year round shrub, with lily of the valley scented yellow flowers in early winter.’
- ‘Catch up on the pruning and in particular the cutting back of spring-flowering shrubs such as Kerria japonica and winter jasmine.’
- ‘The Japanese quince, Chaenomeles japonica, is one of the more common spring flowering shrubs to be found in our gardens.’
- ‘Summer flower species such as Spiraea japonica flower on growth made in the current year.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin, feminine of japonicus ‘Japanese’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.