One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Christian movement of the 17th and 18th centuries, based on Jansen's writings and characterized by moral rigour and asceticism.
- ‘In the last two centuries much of northern Europe was affected by a movement called Jansenism.’
- ‘Few would now dispute that Jansenism, originally an austere Augustinian movement, was one of the most significant intellectual influences of the age.’
- ‘Bitter quarrels over the bull Unigenitus, promulgated in 1713 against Jansenism, lasted half a century, and only died down in the late 1760s.’
- ‘Port-Royal supported Jansenism, a 17th century form of Augustinianism in the Catholic Church, which was in conflict with the Jesuits.’
- ‘Many who did believe were influenced by the heresy of Jansenism, which taught that human nature is depraved and that Jesus died to save only a chosen few.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.