One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Punishment for those who have committed a military offence.‘the sergeant put me on jankers’
penalty, discipline, correction, retribution, penance, sentence, reward, one's just deserts, medicine, the price, the rap, requital, vengeance, justice, judgement, sanctionView synonyms
- ‘Is that what you have got the jankers for?’
- ‘Mrs Cowell said: ‘Some of the men had hated the physical exercise, the food, washing in cold water, the discipline and doing jankers.’’
- ‘The usual chores for jankers were tidying up the armoury, cleaning the .303 Lee Enfield rifles, and any other tasks that Sergeant Major Maynard could come up with.’
- ‘Everyone has to do jankers for one evening meal and one breakfast - serving on table and washing up’
- ‘They must have hated it - all that digging, like being put on ‘jankers’ or punishment drill.’’
Early 20th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.