One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Punishment for those who have committed a military offence.‘the sergeant put me on jankers’
penalty, discipline, correction, retribution, penance, sentence, reward, one's just deserts, medicine, the price, the rap, requital, vengeance, justice, judgement, sanctionView synonyms
- ‘Everyone has to do jankers for one evening meal and one breakfast - serving on table and washing up’
- ‘Is that what you have got the jankers for?’
- ‘Mrs Cowell said: ‘Some of the men had hated the physical exercise, the food, washing in cold water, the discipline and doing jankers.’’
- ‘They must have hated it - all that digging, like being put on ‘jankers’ or punishment drill.’’
- ‘The usual chores for jankers were tidying up the armoury, cleaning the .303 Lee Enfield rifles, and any other tasks that Sergeant Major Maynard could come up with.’
Early 20th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.