One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An old car in a dilapidated condition.‘his father got worried about him driving that old jalopy—it wasn't safe’
motor car, automobile, motor, machineView synonyms
- ‘The neglected poverty-stricken landscape of Motown is captured throughout the film by the trailer homes, abandoned buildings and jalopies in shades of muted gray, browns, greens and rust.’
- ‘The '56 Mercury sputtered along like an old jalopy.’
- ‘Well, the Navy just took its first taxi, and it's taking us where we need to go much faster than its old jalopy.’
- ‘I remember Dave telling me how surprised he was that George was driving an old jalopy that barely ran.’
- ‘He was driving an old jalopy, but when Ernie Reisinger saw the car he said, ‘You can't drive that.’
1920s (originally US): of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.