One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Intricate ornamental openwork in wood, metal, stone, etc.as modifier ‘a bamboo jali bedside cabinet’
- ‘The jali, used in many historic buildings such as the Taj Mahal, gives definition and an aesthetic appeal to a space.’
- ‘Murri work, taipchi, jali, dhun etc are some of the common varieties of chikan work.’
- ‘She installed her naive ceramic figures in an enclosure made from jali, a traditional decorative lattice used in Indian architecture.’
- ‘Its intricately carved windows have beautiful jali or filigree work that is a feature of all buildings of the period in Ahmedabad.’
- ‘Also continued here is the jali work along the facades, rich in detail, which keeps the interiors cool and breezy.’
Urdu, from jaal ‘a net’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.