One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Intricate ornamental openwork in wood, metal, stone, etc.as modifier ‘a bamboo jali bedside cabinet’
- ‘Its intricately carved windows have beautiful jali or filigree work that is a feature of all buildings of the period in Ahmedabad.’
- ‘Also continued here is the jali work along the facades, rich in detail, which keeps the interiors cool and breezy.’
- ‘Murri work, taipchi, jali, dhun etc are some of the common varieties of chikan work.’
- ‘She installed her naive ceramic figures in an enclosure made from jali, a traditional decorative lattice used in Indian architecture.’
- ‘The jali, used in many historic buildings such as the Taj Mahal, gives definition and an aesthetic appeal to a space.’
Urdu, from jaal ‘a net’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.