One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person in charge of a jail or of the prisoners in it.
prison officer, warder, prison warder, wardress, prison wardress, warden, prison warden, guard, prison guard, keeper, incarcerator, captor, sentryView synonyms
- ‘She was trapped in a prison and her jailer refused to release her.’
- ‘In The Abduction from the Seraglio, in The Magic Flute, the prisoners will be guarded by jailers whose vigilance must be outwitted.’
- ‘According to press reports, the two British detainees have been told by their military jailers to plead guilty and accept 20-year prison sentences or go to trial and face certain conviction and the real threat of execution.’
- ‘After a deeply traumatic childhood, where his father left him to rot in Newgate prison, Sweeney takes violent revenge against the gaoler who tormented him in prison.’
- ‘The county's police force is recruiting civilian jailers - or custody support staff - as part of a shake-up of its custody services.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.