One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A coarse dark brown sugar made in India by evaporation of the sap of palm trees.
- ‘Chilled banana cream with jaggery Jaggery, which is fermented palm sugar, is fabulous stuff.’
- ‘Add the tomato purée, jaggery, chilli and garam masala powders and water if required.’
- ‘When jaggery is dissolved, add lime juice and pears.’
- ‘Some 70 lakh children were being fed with ghoogri, a cooked meal of wheat and jaggery.’
- ‘This ‘coffee’ is sweetened with ‘karippatti’ or jaggery as sugar is anathema to the champions of natural eating.’
Late 16th century: from Portuguese xagara, jag(a)ra, from Malayalam cakkarā, from Sanskrit śarkarā ‘sugar’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.