One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘He kept pictures of Oliver Cromwell among his collection of images of the kings and queens of England, and yet late in life was accused of Popery and Jacobitism.’
- ‘According to MacKillop, Jacobitism has become a means to assuage Scotland's collective guilt about the Act of Union, in which the country's sovereignty was given up.’
- ‘Military units raised by the Crown in the mid-18th century were not in sympathy with the Jacobitism that pervaded the majority of Highland clans.’
- ‘When the rebels arrived in Manchester, a centre of Jacobitism, on 28 November there were public celebrations among avowed Jacobites and a small Manchester regiment was raised.’
- ‘Eventually admiration for Jacobitism was adopted, along with tartan, by the Hanoverians themselves as part of a general nostalgia for the good old days.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.