One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Eventually admiration for Jacobitism was adopted, along with tartan, by the Hanoverians themselves as part of a general nostalgia for the good old days.’
- ‘Military units raised by the Crown in the mid-18th century were not in sympathy with the Jacobitism that pervaded the majority of Highland clans.’
- ‘He kept pictures of Oliver Cromwell among his collection of images of the kings and queens of England, and yet late in life was accused of Popery and Jacobitism.’
- ‘When the rebels arrived in Manchester, a centre of Jacobitism, on 28 November there were public celebrations among avowed Jacobites and a small Manchester regiment was raised.’
- ‘According to MacKillop, Jacobitism has become a means to assuage Scotland's collective guilt about the Act of Union, in which the country's sovereignty was given up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.