Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A portable pneumatic hammer or drill.
- ‘In Taba, where the blast brought down a 10-storey wing of the resort, Egyptian and Israeli rescuers used everything from jackhammers and drills to dogs and bare hands to search the wreckage.’
- ‘In a quiet sidestreet, at 3am, someone was running a bloody jackhammer, drilling up the tarmac.’
- ‘They are doing alterations in my office building, and there is a little man coming in every day with a jackhammer and it sounds as if he is drilling his way through to Singapore.’
- ‘Landon cracked his eyes open and grimaced in pain from the pounding headache; like an incessant jackhammer drilling into his skull at all angles.’
- ‘For the past few days, we've been blown away with all the noise from jackhammers, heavy road equipment, and auxiliary power units.’
verb[WITH OBJECT]North American
Beat or hammer heavily or loudly and repeatedly.
- ‘John, 40, said: ‘I was jackhammering concrete with my mate Dave when he saw something and said it looked like a hand grenade.’’
- ‘Having pinpointed the exact location, the bird goes in for the kill with an elaborate maneuver, kicking its legs out from under its wings and jackhammering its beak a few centimeters into the soil to nab its wriggling breakfast.’
- ‘After a week of jackhammering the basement, we had ourselves a shiny new sump pump complete with a perimeter drain, battery backup and snazzy cover.’
- ‘Two workmen are busy jackhammering the footpath.’
- ‘In the Fifties, radiant heating using hot water pipes embedded in concrete floor slabs made a promising entrance - and a humiliating exit after leaks required countless slabs to be jackhammered up for repair.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.