One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large leather military boot reaching to the knee.
gumboot, wellington, wader, walking boot, riding boot, field boot, thigh boot, half-boot, ankle boot, pixie boot, chelsea boot, balmoral, desert boot, moon boot, snow bootView synonyms
- ‘Having twirled in a frock, he dons jackboots to play Adolf Hitler in Springtime for Hitler, the production's howlingly awful play-within-a-play.’
- ‘After dinner, Roger appeared in military fatigues, complete with hat, sunglasses, jackboots, and swagger stick.’
- ‘And a combatant could choose more propitious venues for the slugfest than the steps of the Hotel Ukraine in the heart of Moscow, hard by Lenin's tomb where minions of the Red Army goosestep in jackboots at all hours.’
- ‘Within only six weeks, the French army had collapsed and shell-shocked Parisians were forced to watch as German soldiers paraded through their streets, the sound of their jackboots signalling the defeat of a great power.’
- ‘Since Griffin came to power he has tried to mould the BNP into a seemingly respectable group, ditching the old skinheads and jackboots for the ‘brute in a suit’ look.’
- 1.1 Used as a symbol of cruel or authoritarian behaviour or rule.‘a country under the jackboot of colonialism’
- ‘Of course the entire region really was under the jackboot, if you like, of apartheid rule.’
- ‘The only way that successive regimes in Jakarta have been able to prevent the rise of separatist sentiment, however, is with the jackboot of the military.’
- ‘One less problem now that this voice of free thought has been stamped out under the jackboot.’
- ‘This prescient short story, published in Blackwood's magazine, described how, after the fall of France, the German army would invade and grind Britain under its jackboot for all eternity.’
- ‘The poem of Agraphon was written by Angelos Sikelianos in 1941 when Greece was under the German jackboot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.